If you’re a Harley owner and also enjoy listening to music, then chances are you already know about their decent audio system.
If you search online for a Harley stereo, you’ll see a huge list of different options. That makes it difficult to choose the best replacement radio for your Harley Davidson.
To make the work easy for you, we have selected the top 7 of the best Harley stereo upgrades available on the market today.
There is one thing that all of these stereos have in common, and that is a lot of power, good sound quality, and a sleek, easy-to-use design.
So without wasting any more time, let’s find out what’s the best Harley replacement radio in 2021.
Top 7 Best Harley Stereo Upgrade Reviews of 2021
Our team managed to comprise a list of the best Harley Davidson replacement radio. Each radio comes with a different price range and features, so select them according to your need. If you still face any problems while selecting then you can check our final verdict!
1. Rockford Fosgate PMX-HD9813 – (Our Top Pick)
The Rockford Fosgate HD9813 is a premium Harley Davidson radio. The design of this unit is way impressive compared to any other single din radio.
The 3” display is very bright and colorful and comes with a night mode which helps to watch the display while traveling at night.
You can use Bluetooth to connect your phone with the receiver for wireless music streaming. The Bluetooth supports mostly all the old as well as the latest iPhone and Android devices. You can also control the stereo through factory handlebar controls.
In terms of audio quality, this is the best head unit for Harley Davidson due to its high quality and powerful built-in amplifier which power peak of 50 watts by four channels and twenty-five watts RMS at 4 OHMS. Ther is a built-in graphic equalizer available for full customization.
The installation of this radio doesn’t take long dues to its play-and-play installation. You don’t need wiring or a factory harness for the installation.
The good thing we notice In this head unit is that it remembers the last song which was playing on SD Card/ USB and starts from there.
- 3-inch Color Display(NO/DVD)
- Built-in Seven Band Graphic Equalizer
- Chassis Size: 2.5 x 8.2 x 7.5 inches
- Compatible with Harley-Davidson motorcycles(1998-13)
- 2006-13 Street Glide, 1998-13 Road Glide, and 1998-13 Electra Glide models
- Compatible with iPhone, iPod, and iPad Control
- Compatible with factory handlebar controls
- Compatible with Sirius XM satellite radio
- Power Peak: 200 watts max. at 4 ohms
- RMS: 25 watts by 4 Channel at 4 ohms
- Frequency Response from 20 Hz to 20,000 Hz
- Inputs: 3.5mm Aux, RCA Stereo Aux, front USB
- Output: 4 Channel Preamp having 4 volts each
- Warranty: 24 Months
2. Aquatic AV MP5 – The Best Harley Stereo Upgrade
The Aquatic AV MP5 is another single-din stereo designed specifically for Harley-Davidson motorcycles.
This receiver comes with built-in storage for putting your phone inside it while riding.
You can use wireless music streaming via Bluetooth which supports both iPhone and Android. The Bluetooth works great and has a pretty strong connection.
On top of that, this stereo comes with a 2 v preamp output plus a whole host of other inputs including aux (minijack), aux (stereo RCA), and a rear USB port for charging and music streaming.
It is built with high-end materials and is resilient against the sun, humidity, salt water, and UV rays, the Aquatic AV MP5 has been designed to take on life’s adventures.
The big knob allows you to control your music hands-free when you’re underway and wouldn’t it be great if bike controls could control your listening experience? You can do that with the Aquatic AV MP5!
The package includes a media receiver, Face-plate, Rear speaker harness, installation manual. The price and installation kit of this radio looks like it is the right amount to pay. This radio has many good reviews online especially on the easy installation and great audio quality.
- Single din chassis with monochrome LCD
- Compatible with wireless music streaming
- AM/FM tuner with 30 presets
- Compatible with up to 8 speakers
- Built-in high-quality A/B amplifier
- Power Output of 180 watts
- RMS of 24 watts by 4 channels each at 4 ohms
- And RMS of 40 watts by 4 channels at 2 ohms
- 75 watts of Peak power (RMS) at 2 ohms
- 45 watts of Peak Power (RMS) at 4 ohms
- Works with both Apple and Android phones
- Frequency response from 20Hz to 20,000 Hz
- Amount of current at standby: 6mA
- Max. Amount of current: 7A
- Fits easily in all models of Harley-Davidson motorcycles ( 1998-2013)
- Warranty of 36 months
3. Sony XAV-AX7000 – Best Harley Replacement Radio (Touchscreen)
The Sony XAV-AX7000 is a (plug-and-play) single-din touchscreen stereo, which fits easily in Harley Davidson.
The display size is quite large also, it comes with anti-glare protection which helps you to see the display in bright sunlight, which is a good thing for bikers.
This head unit doesn’t require any external amplifier due to its powerful built-in amp which offers a power peak of 100 watts and an RMS of 45 watts per channel which is sufficient to power four speakers.
Apple CarPlay and Android Auto are its main feature. With this feature, you can use a large number of apps such as YouTube, Apple Maps/ Google Maps, Pandora/Spotify, and many more.
However, the bad side of Apple CarPlay and Android Auto is, it works only with a USB connection, which might be a problem for bikers.
For wireless connectivity, you can use Bluetooth to play music via Pandora or Spotify, or Hands-Free Calling. Bluetooth takes a few seconds to connect, also the Bluetooth strength is rock solid.
- 6.95″ Touchscreen Display
- Chassis Size: Single Din
- Designed for Harley Davidson
- Built-in Ten Band Equalizer
- Wired Apple CarPlay/Auto
- Support Hands-free calling via Bluetooth
- Dual USB input, Backup Camera input
- 5 Volt Preamp Output (5 Channel)
- Support High-resolution FLAC files
- Support Sirus XM HD Radio
- Dynamic stage Organiser
- Direct subwoofer controls
- 36 Months Warranty
4. Jensen HD1BT – (Also Great)
This is another best media receiver that fits easily in Harley Davidson, even without the need for brackets or mounting kit.
It includes all of the features that traditional models lack, and can withstand nearly anything short of water damage or excessive wear from salt environments like those found on bike paths during winter months.
The installation of this stereo is simple and takes less time compared to aquatic av because it fits easily with your bike’s factory harness plug.
Jensen HD1BT is the ultimate all-in-one stereo head unit for those who appreciate quality as well as value.
It has a versatile, sleek design that allows for convenient integration into nearly any vehicle perfectly. With this product, you won’t sacrifice sound no matter how high your jams go!
Wireless music streaming via Bluetooth works well. You can also play music via connecting your phone with the receiver in Auxiliary input or via a USB connection.
You can also control the music system and change the volume of the receiver through Harley’s factory handlebar controls.
The other best thing about this stereo is the ability to connect with SiriusXM satellite radio. But, you have to purchase the tuner and subscription separately.
The backlighting on this stereo will also let you see nearby traffic lights in the dark!
- Single Din Stereo with matrix LCD
- 12 AM, 18 FM Presets, Weather tuner
- Support Bluetooth Connectivity
- Built-in Amplifier
- Power Peak: 4 x 50 watts
- RMS: 22 watts x 4 Channel
- Built-in 5 Band Equalizer
- Support iPod and iPhone
- 3.5mm Aux input, USB input, USB input
- 4 preamp output for connecting speakers and subwoofers
- Support Sirius XM HD Radio
- Support MP3, WMA Playback
5. Alpine CDE-175BT
The Alpine CDE-175BT is another and the perfect companion for those who love listening to music in the Harley and want a budget-friendly option.
Whether you enjoy old-school radios or want a modern upgrade, this single slot stereo offers you what you need and wants with its built-in iPod, iPhone, and iPad control so that driving becomes even easier.
With these 3 band parametric EQs and high pass filters, anyone can find your favorite tunes without too much effort.
And if whoever’s along for the ride doesn’t like it, no problem! You just need to utilize this sweet subwoofer level control that will be able to change their minds by leaning over just a touch more than usual.
The detachable face allows you to customize what color variable display suits your style best! Giving you complete power over how the hardware looks as well.
Alpine CDE-175BT offers a variety of expandability options, including SiriusXM tuners and an auxiliary input. Just add your favorite music from other players to the USB inputs for quick listening with Alpine’s Bluetooth system.
- Single Din DVD Receiver
- AM/FM tuner
- Bluetooth compatible with both iPhone and Android
- iPhone/iPad Control
- Siri Eyes-Free compatible
- Built-in 3-band EQ with 10 user presets
- Support FLAC files
- Support Pandora for both iPhone and Android
- Power Peak: 4 x 50 watts
- RMS: 18 watts per channel
- AUX and USB Input
- 6 Preamp Output (5-volt front, rear, subwoofer)
- Audio Formats: CDs/CD-Rs, and CD-RWs
- Support SiriusXM tuner
- 12 months warranty period
6. Pioneer SPH-10BT
The Pioneer S-Series SPH10BT receiver is the perfect solution for consumers who want to retrofit their factory stereo with a competitive digital media system.
You will get excellent sound quality with 13 bands EQ and variable color display, hands-free calling via Bluetooth, high-powered amps for dynamic music playback at higher volume levels, compatibility with steering wheel steering controls (with necessary adapters), and included iPod/iPhone dock.
You can use the Pioneer Smart Sync app to wirelessly control the features of your receiver right from your smartphone without ever touching the screen. Freightliner has just announced that they will be including this in future vehicles as an option!
This digital media receiver is also compatible with most factory steering wheel audio controls, so you can stay focused on the road while still being able to enjoy your favorite tunes from virtually any device.
Built-in amplification has been designed specifically for this unit, targeting those seeking enhanced sound quality at volumes as high as 100 dBA.
After getting Smart Sync up and running on my phone, I found that it only took me about 15 minutes for the first couple of times doing tests under similar conditions.
- Single Din Mechless Receiver
- LCD Display with 10 Level Brightness Control
- USB Direct Control for iPhone
- Bluetooth with Hands-free Profile (v1.6)
- 13 Band plus Equalizer
- 18 FM and 6 AM Radio Presets
- Audio Formats: FLAC, AAC, WAV, MP3, WMA
- 2 Volt (4 channel) Preamp Output
- Detachable Face Plate
- USB, AUX Input
- Wired Remote Input
- 1-Year Brand Warranty
7. Sony XAV-AX5500 ( Touchscreen in Budget)
The Sony XAV-AX5500 is another ultimate stereo for Harley Davidson because it lets you stay focused on enjoying your ride while navigating with Apple CarPlay, listening to music, and making calls.
The simple 6.95 inches touchscreen wakes up 2.5x as fast as previous models without sacrificing touch response or audio quality thanks to our built-in 4 x 55 W amplification that delivers clear highs at high volumes.
The 500 cd/m2 brightness will keep things easy to see when there’s no bike light handy.
The Sony XAV-AX5500 has luxury, durability, and entertainment without compromise. With high-performance dual USB ports for your music needs and the power to provide crystal clear sound at any volume – this stereo is perfect for any journey!
With this head unit, you can enjoy commercial-free music, sports, news, and entertainment due to its compatibility with the Sirius XM Radio satellite tuner.
- 6.95-inch Capacitive touchscreen
- Chassis Size: 2” Tall Single Din
- 4” Tall Double Din Display
- Apple CarPlay and Android Auto support
- Wireless Music streaming through Bluetooth
- Power Peak: 220 watts max.
- RMS: 20 watts x 4 channel
- Built-in 10 Band graphic equalizer
- 5 Volt Preamp Output (total 5 channels)
- Compatible with SWC, and Backup Camera
- Three-year brand Warranty
How do we Pick these Harley replacement stereos?
While listing down the best replacement radio for the Harley Davidson available on the market today, we shuffle through a lot of different units to get to the right and the best Harley stereos out there.
We looked into different well-known factory stereo stores like Crutchfield as well as other retailers. We picked and selected these Harley Davidson head units from the top-rated companies like Rockford Fosgate, Sony to other less known brands.
We conduct further research on what people say on the forums. We also took suggestions from the verified buyer’s reviews from Crutchfield and amazon.
We also interviewed professional stereo installers, as well as some native Harley Davidson owners, we consider their opinions best these are the only people who are best about the stereo and Harley.
After, this comprehensive research, we were able to list down many different stereo upgrades for Harley. After testing out each unit, we were able to list down the top 7 of the best Best Harley replacement Stereo.
Below are some frequently asked questions related to this article.
What is the Best Harley Davidson Stereo Upgrade?
If you want the best Harley stereo in terms of every aspect such as quality audio, bright display, latest features, and easy installation, go with Rockford Fosgate HD9813.
However, If your budget is low for the Rock Fosgate you can with Aquatic AV MP5, which offers almost the same as Rockford Fosgate, the only difference you can find is sound quality.
There is no doubt, Rockford Fosgate is more expensive than Aquatic Av and offers a high-power amplifier. But Aquatic AV’s audio quality is also a good stereo receiver for sound quality as well as budget-friendly.
Should I buy an external amplifier for Harley Davidson?
If your head unit is quite powerful like the Rockford Fosgate HD9813, then you don’t require any external amp.
But if you had a low-power stereo receiver then, an external amplifier will be must required in order to improve your overall sound system.
How can I make my Harley radio louder?
There are mainly five-way, to improve your Harley audio quality louder and clear, these include:
- Upgrading to a new Head Unit
- Upgrading your factory speakers
- Adding more speakers
- Adding an external amplifier
- Adjusting Equalizer settings
How do I get Apple Carplay on my Harley?
To get Apple CarPlay on your Harley Davidson, you need to upgrade our factory stereo to a new touchscreen head unit like the Sony XAV-AX7000 or Sony XAV-AX5500. Both head units fit perfectly in Harley and work even with your handlebar controls.
How much does it cost to upgrade the Harley stereo?
The top-rated Harley stereo starts from the price range of $300 and ends somewhere around $1500. For the installation, it cost around 50–$300. The price of stereo and installation depends on what type of stereo you bought. Single Din Stereo like Aquatic AV costs you less, while touchscreen head units like Sony XAV-AX7000 will cost more.
All of these Harley stereos mentioned in the list have been looked into carefully and are generally loved by a large number of Harley owners.
There are lots of great stereo receivers which provide quality audio, the latest features better design, responsive touchscreen.
At the end of the day, it’s not about getting the Best Harley Replacement Radio you can buy.
Instead, you should focus on your budget and what Head Unit works best for you.
If you are confused then here is the short answer:
- For High Power and great performance single din stereo go with Rockford Fosgate PMX-HD9813
- For Budget single din stereo go with Aquatic AV-MP5
- For responsive touchscreen go with Sony XAV-AX7000
- Touchscreen in a Budget, go with Sony XAV-AX5500
We hope you will get an idea for your future upgrade. If you like this article, please consider leaving a comment.
Related Articles –
I’m Miles Walker, founder of HeadUnitAdvisor.com I have worked in sound technology for 8 years now. Here I educate the audience about car audio and stereo stuff. I also do Unboxing and reviews of the latest Car Stereos (Head Units).